Monday, March 18, 2013

Combo Amp Stand

Ah yes, starting a new project!
This one is furniture of a bit different kind. I'm making an Amp Stand for a guitarist that has spent many years honing their craft and gear.
This is the mock-up on the left and the pieces for the finished product to the right. Kind of funny how much it looks like a chair. That's what happens when a furniture maker designs and amp stand heh.

Though relatively small and airy, it is a fairly complicated build with angles, loaded joinery, and knowing that a fairly heavy vibrating object is to be used on it.
This drawing represents the main rail, that the amp's bottom will sit on, and the connection to the front leg. There is to be a through tenon in the main rail so room for joinery from the leg is tight. I decided to opt for three dowels. In this case it is a more effective use of space than a tenon.

After cutting, finessing, boring, and fitting I've got the main triangles dry fitting pretty well.


On to the through tenon mortises. I was a bit nervous about this because it has been so long since I've done free-hand mortise cutting, and it's a fairly big bit at the end of a rail. Luckily this Walnut is working nicely and the process quickly came back to me.
Taping your work-piece to a backer board prevents blow-out and adds stability to your work-piece.

The chair-like sides are just about ready for edge and end-grain treatment. I figure I'd get a start on that little shelf. I'm laminating a substrate to make my desired thickness. While that is clamped face-gluing I went to the band saw and planer to make veneer from the same plank of Walnut the rest of the piece is made from.

I'm feeling pretty good about my rate of progress thus far. I hope I haven't jinxed it!

7 comments:

mckenzie said...

Hey Nick,

That looks like a fun project to be building.

Tyler

Anonymous said...

Good to see some work coming out of the shop;)
Is that a little entry shelf? I just did a small veneered entry shelf for a wedding gift, it was a fun build!

Cheers
Kylle

Nicholas Nelson said...

Yeah, it's neat that a project like this creates and satisfies a unique interest.

There is actually a little shelf that is a part of the amp stand.
Did you happen to take any photos of that entry shelf??

Anonymous said...

Hey Nick,
I did take a few pics of the shelf, but nothing too professional. I'll dig around and find them for you.

Looking good!


Kylle

Unknown said...

Hey Nicholas,
I have checking your blog for some time now, love the work here. I have a question about your router bit you showed during a box build. This is in the wrong post but figured I'd post in the most recent blog entry. Where do get that 1/16" radius put on your 3/4" straight router bit? I have searched high and low and asked questions on Sawmill creek and still people are not sure what I'm even asking for. Even if I use the Krenovian raised panel, people still are unsure what I am looking for. If you made it yourself I'd like to know how, diamond stones?

THanks,
Anthony

Nicholas Nelson said...

Greetings Anthony,
This might be a bit late.
I had gotten some ground by a tooling/machine shop. They are ok but I'm not completely thrilled with the results. For such a small radius as 1/16th I just tried buying a cheap bit and made the little radius first on a grinder (old wheels I didn't care about) and then finished with stones. Again, not the perfect outcome but it works for now. I'd like to try again. I still may suggest going to a tooling/machine shop for "larger" radii.

Unknown said...

It is truly amazing that this bit is not offered anywhere that I can find. As you said, has no one heard of Krenov? And who likes a raised panel with just a square edged rabbet? Of all the router bit configurations I very surprised. I've been using LV rabbet plane and leaving a small step in the corner and using a round molding plane that I made after watching Larry William's wonderful video on the subject of making side escapement planes. But this method is very time consuming and not possible on anything but with square panels.