Sunday, June 21, 2009
As I mentioned it was bench top time. I got this "slab" of laminated maple (oriented quarter-sawn) 2nd or 3rd hand quite cheap. It had a thick finish on it that just sounded terrible as I scraped it off. As it turns out this just did not want to plane... the random quarter sawn lamination although good for stability is not so good for working. Thus I continued with the scraper.
Here the top is pretty clean of finish and had a little work on flattening... You can see how much work there is to go especially with a cabinet scraper! I spent over 2 days getting it flat enough to move on and boy are my shoulders, arms, and legs sore! Half that time was spent sharpening though. The point of operation with scrapers is typically a bur or hook on the edge. This doesn't last very long at all... a bit longer than it takes to create that bur... at least when taking relatively heavy shavings for a scraper.
After all that I went on to the "bread board" ends. Here is a big tongue awaiting a groove.
Jimmy rigged set up for edge jointing. This is defiantly the biggest edge joint I've done. Also the "dog strip" at this point is 5 1/2" thick of laminated maple so there is little to no give in it. I thought it was going to take me longer but it only took about an hour and a half to do.
Doweling jig on a large scale! Only five 3/8" dowels, more for location than strength. I drilled the dowel holes so that the dog strip would sit a bit higher than the rest of the top. I'd much rather bring the 6" strip down to the bench than the twenty something inch top to the strip!
And here is the glue up that just happened. I used epoxy here for some extra insurance. Now I have to think about scraping some more. It's getting closer every day but I might take a break from the bench to work on getting the to-be bench room ready to put the bench in.
I don't know we'll see.