Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Side Table "Teasers"


I finished the side tables a little while ago but finally took a couple quick crappy shots of them for your viewing non-pleasure heh. I will be trying more "serious" photography when all the tables are done.
I'm pretty happy with the end product. I might tweak some of the reveals a little bit but nothing major. Also the thing about making furniture to go with furniture is that there are often no absolute standards to go by. These will be a bit tall for low sitting sofas but will fit the taller ones fine and in my opinion the side table is just about perfect to match a "proper" chair. By the way I did NOT make that chair. It belongs to the dinning set in the house.


Shedua and White Oak. I see this one fitting into a more "executive" setting possible with lower lighting.


Kwila and Narra. This one I like to think of a more casual and brighter setting. I do hope that the Kwila darkens more than the Narra as it was my intention to have a bit stronger contrast. Though when the sun hits the Narra panel it really pops and ads to the contrast.


Finishing up getting new stock to size, cross cut, square and all to start some mortising on 3 Pedestals. I decided to not build a fourth which would have been Narra, because it requires so much sanding. Also I would like to get this whole table family done sooner than later as I have said I'm waiting to finish to head out to the galleries. So none of this really has a chance to get sold or grab any public's attention until all the planed tables are done. In addition I have a wall hung cabinet in mind I would love to finish before Summer as there is a show or two I might like to enter.
Anyway fewer tables to build = finishing sooner. If anyone wants a table of Narra I would gladly do it, but I will hold off for now.

I may not be making as many updates as the Pedestals go on because they are really "exactly" the same as the side tables with different dimensions. We'll see ;)

5 comments:

LORD GODFREY said...

Super cool Nick! Me likey. Isn't production stuff fun? The same stuff over and over and over and over. I actually like that chair your piece is up beside, a little tweaking and it would be really nice.

Are there a few galleries where you live?

I can almost hear the metal from your iPod in the last picture of the milled stock.

Nicholas Nelson said...

Oh gosh I don't know that I'm cut out for production work ha. I don't think I'll be doing a lot of these tables "speculatively" as I kind of intended. I guess I'd rather it be projects I can have on hand and "build per order". Still if that were to happen I think I'd make at least 2 at a time. If someone wants only one table I'll make another with it to put in a gallery or something.
Heh that view/angle of that chair is deceiving. Makes it look spindlely but it's not.
There are a few galleries here but I haven't seen any with a really sophisticated "aura" if you will. Most are more casual or "crafty" in the not so great sense heh.

Ha I don't listen to Metal all too much any more. If I do it's usually Opeth, or Post-Metal (Isis, Cult of Luna...) Ha my new favorite "genre" = soulful prog!

Barb Shelton said...

Tables look great Nick! Love the Narra!

Nick Brygidyr said...

happy new year nick! tables look great, i really like the narra but i dont think i can get any in my area..

i saw Isis last summer and they melted my face off.

Nicholas Nelson said...

You can't get Narra hear either... or Kwila for that matter. Narra came from Gilmer Wood Co (as did the Shedua). Kwila came from Cormark International.

Isis ARE amazing.