Saturday, January 9, 2010

more pedestal work


All the mortises have been made. It's really less tiring and quicker work when using woods that don't blunt your end-mill bits after a couple passes... huh ;)


Looking out to the blinding snow, or cold gray days I really don't feel bad about staying inside all day to work. If that's a "pro" for living here, it's a twisted one.


Next I went to overall leg cutting and shaping. I don't want to spend the time fitting joints if I'm just going to find some random fatal flaw in a leg. Not that I'm anticipating any, but just to make sure.
Also this is what happens when you don't have any dust collection. And don't mind the Grizzly... it will be one of the first things to be replaced, some day, but for now it's WAY better than nothing.


I've only had this shop space for a few months but already my simple sharpening station has seen some good use. I would like to find a better manual grinder but it's just another thing on the list.


Freshly sharpened irons go to work on the leg profiles. These legs are about 35.5" tall and the amplitude of the curve is somewhere around 5/16". The pile of shavings on the floor is quite welcome to hang out for a while.
Note the space heater ha. There are no heat vents entering this room. I'm not overly excited about using the heater which can further dry out the already dry air but I only turn it on when I'm working and it is set low so the room maintains about 60-62 degrees F. It's gets difficult to do sensitive work with cold hands.


Tenon stock made and cross cut, fitting begins. This time around I made the stock a little closer to final dimension. They are pretty close but not quite. Do a little fine tuning and they get that snug but not jammed fit, and a good "POP!"

The tables seem to be moving along pretty well (now that I say that something bad is going to happen). Maybe it's because I just did the same operations, maybe it's the wood, or the fact that I'm doing 3 pieces instead of 4. I wonder how the coffee tables will go?

3 comments:

LORD GODFREY said...

Looks good Nick, great last post too.

Unknown said...

Nicholas, great post and as always, beautiful work~
I noticed the hand grinder on your sharpening bench and was wondering how you like it? Do you, or did you find it awkward to sharpen irons with only one hand? Do you only use one hand?
Would love to find one of these but always wondered how they felt in use.
Any feedback would be great-
Cheers!
Tom

www.tomfidgen.blogspot.com

Nicholas Nelson said...

Thanks guys.
I like the hand grinder though it does take a little getting used to. With the slower speed you don't need to worry about burning your iron so much and you can do finer grinding when taking less material at a time. If you happen to make a wrong move you only have a little to grind away rather than 1/3rd of you iron to make it right again ha.
And it's quite, relaxed, takes less space, and simply more enjoyable to use in my opinion.