Monday, July 19, 2010

Ruedy Key Cabinet

I took a couple more process photos before finishing this little guy but it was just some taping for finish and mortise making for hangers which I snapped on the last project.
I decided to put together a half-assed photo shoot using my drawing paper roll on my bench, lit with shop and bench lights (no defusers). The colors aren't great but that is always a challenge. I'd say some of the detail shots are even website worthy :).
Without further a due -
Ruedy Key Cabinet - A.D. Walnut, unknown, Kingwood.
About 14"x8"x5"



Little "leveler" of Kingwood helps prevent the door from sagging over time.

I really like this shot, don't know what it is... just nice.

For how much the door is curved it is very difficult to photograph. I mean it's not WILD but a more obvious curve than the Vanity Cabinet. This shot illustrates the door shaping that is even harder to photograph. The "whoop-dee-do" of the door and the shaping of the cabinet side act as the door pull. The Groom has big bass handling hands and the Bride slender hands, figure this is not only a nice detail but a more versatile pull ha.

Key Hanger also of Kingwood (so it the flipper-flopper).
The hangers are a bit "rougher" than the rest of the cabinet. I don't know, I'm coming to like the imprints of hand tools on these little pieces. Problem is, I'm not a great carver. The "freedom" of work on these little guys aren't exactly congruent to the overall flow of the rest of the work but I hope it's not too much of a clash. The journey of one's aesthetic continuous heh.

The other shots weren't showing the shape of the partision so here's one that does.
The partision has a concave shape to allow easier access and visibility to what may be in the space below.

"Left over" wall hangers from the Vanity Cabinet were nice to have on hand :).

The "seal of approval" heh. I don't give ANY thing I make the little "NN" carving. Call me vain or silly but it would be nice if some day this little mark would be an indicator of quality and craftsmanship to some out there. I guess it comes to the yearn for some sort of "greatness" in me. That driving yet sufferable force. A pursuit of "excellence".
So this is my gift to you. It may not be large or "grand" but it is built to last and flows from overall form to the details. Honest hard work and perseverance from the hands working with the material making friendly forms, edges, and transitions. I hope you find your bond shares more in common with this little structure than one may first suspect.

4 comments:

Nick Brygidyr said...

i really like how the pictures turned out. i got myself some photo stuff this week....minus the backdrop stand since it was 219 bones!!

i plan on using 500 watt worklights with diffuse sheets over top like in the FWW article, hopefully i'll get to play around with that soon enough!

oh yeah and e-mail me about slot mortisers, me wanna talky talky avec vous

Ian Crosby said...

Man do I love what you did with the pull. Beautiful shaping on the front edge as well as the edge of the door. It leaves the door clean and makes for a sweet little detail on the side.

All around beauty!

SGI said...

Looks great Nick. I'm sure its new owners will agree.

Nicholas Nelson said...

Thanks guys! Just waiting till the 14th to give it to them...