Monday, August 9, 2010

Where's the flow?

Hey, I'm still alive. Just haven't been able to create a decent work flow lately. Working more hours at the other job to "make up" for time off, it being so hot and thick out here that it's a struggle to move, and problem-solving for these the cabinet doors racking my brain... alas a little relief with some good work done.

Above is a "book-matched" pair of air-dried Maple I got locally about this time last year (crazy to think a year has gone by). I cut some of this maple up for my table tops... kind of wish I hadn't because once again I'm calling it close for usable material. The tone of this maple is lovely, a much more "buttery" color than commercial Maple and a creamy texture. This is my Cabinet material.

I work at the door rails first, in my opinion the most important pieces for this cabinet. I haven't cut anything else at this point. If for some reason one of these is to not work out I need the next best selection.
A lot of the time these kinds of doors are made using bent lamination but it being Maple and with the end grain to be used as aesthetic features I don't want all those seams... also I just wanted to use solid material.
Note the nice curve of the grain accentuating the curve of the pieces because of the way arranged the cuts. Also the stronger grain curve on the top piece that will work well with the shape to come.

The outsides were shaped first, the the inside cut.

Save the off-cuts of the outside shape to use as supports for further work with the components.
I used spoke shaves for the inside shaping. Don't forget to keep things square! (that is if that's what you want)

Using those off cuts again. Cross cut the pieces to size on the table saw.

Here is the top rail with another curve introduced. I originally made the rails about 5/16" taller than they need to be so that I can get 3/16" thick strips to use to hold the glass in place.

Door joinery. This was one of the things I was losing sleep over... what to do. Most of the time one would use slip-tenons (aka bridal joints) BUT because my bottom rail is so tall (2-5/8") I didn't feel it was appropriate aesthetically and mainly due to wood movement potentially breaking/weakening the joints. I can get adequate stub tenons in the outer styles but the middle ones are pretty narrow... particularly the right side because of both the rebate for glass and lay-over for the meeting of the doors.
I came up with a couple options and was wanting to lean towards small double tenons but felt that they may be too small. After sleeping on it (or trying to) I reasoned that the middle style joints aren't baring a whole ton of load. The outside corners, where the hinges go, are going to be the real load bearing points. I think these double tenons will be quite adequate.

4 comments:

jbreau said...

looks good.
you gonna cut your own glass for this one?
how did the wedding go? they like the cabinet?

Nicholas Nelson said...

Ha. I AM sick of dealing with lazy glass cutters, we'll see. How'd it go for your Brown Oak cabinet? You cut your glass for that one right?
The wedding is this Saturday... hope it goes well ;)

jbreau said...

yup, i've been cutting my glass for a few different things now.

the only advice i have, is don't cut it too perfect. glass that is too tight is bad. it's pretty much a pain in the ass to shave a little bit of glass off, and you risk breakage when the wood swells.

the other bit of advice is to get a good glass cutter. my mom has one that she uses for stained glass and it has lubricant in the handle. very nice.

other then that, just a sure hand and a couple of youtube clips and you'll be all set to go.

a good skill to have.

Nick Brygidyr said...

yeah i gave a template to my glass guy for my showcase cabinet, which was a perfect fit of the cabinet and well...theres a nice big crack in it now.

and nick, how do you like those lil lie neilson shaves?