Saturday, August 15, 2009

stop and go


Work continued on the frame. It took me a while to decide what to do with the panel as the lid of a box like this is usually the focus. Apparently I didn't take any more photos in process, but here are a pair of mortises made at the router table with a 1/8" straight bit. The panel is actually a pair of slats that join the frame at the short sides but do not touch the long sides or each other.


Here we go. This is one of the bits I've been waiting for. It's a straight 3/4" bit with radii on the corners. This is the 1/16" radius, the other I ordered was not acceptable work for me... uhhh... so upon word from Ian I tried doing one myself. Turns out it went better than I thought. However, mine isn't as clean as the one I had machined but before I use that one I'll spend some time cleaning it up.
After picking up my one bit I stopped by a Woodcraft store which was on the way home to look for a cheap bit I could try to modify. Some things just escape me, like the lack of simple tools that are very valuable to work. It seems to me that with all the beading router bits out there people would say "hey, a round in the opposite direction could be nice too!" but I guess it doesn't happen, not very often anyway. Also, I am a bit bias, but how many woodworkers have never heard of Krenov, here in the Midwest anyway. Even the people working in the industries. I felt that way before going to IP but after it's usually a bit of a culture shock. The people at the store didn't understand what I was trying to do, and asked me why I would do it. I didn't quite know how to answer besides saying it gives you a nice little profile.


This is it. The profiled tongue to fit a groove. I feel it's much more pleasant than a hard right angle or those raised panel shaper profiles, at least for a project this small.
It seems to be common for me to be looking for this that don't exist or that are no longer are around heh. I don't think these quests will end any time soon though. Infact that is part of the reason I took a more "serious" look into woodworking. A number of years ago I was in the market for a new drum set. I wanted one that done in a way that wasn't really being done. So I took the plunge and made it myself.


Anywho back to the box. Pre finishing. It's getting the shellac and wax treatment. The inside of the box got 5 thin coats of blonde shellac 1 wax. The lid frame got 3 coats orange and 3 blonde, also 1 wax. The bottom panel and lid panels got nothing but one coat of wax.


The real assembly! Now everything is stuck.


Clean up that proud joinery via bench and block plane.
I don't even want to imagine the kind of headaches I would get without my bench. It took some time and money but I'm very glad that I have it and it works!


Not too shabby, alas I am a bit halted again. I need a couple carving gouges for a possible "pull" on the lid. I went to a local carving shop and wasn't quite satisfied with the tools there... So I will probably order some, hope they are in stock, and have to play the waiting game again.
I would have liked to finish the box completely before moving on but I may be moving on to mocking up the End Table of my proposed "table family".

11 comments:

Nick Brygidyr said...

damn those are some nice lookin' dovetails...so tell me, how'd you fill the gaps? =P

i cut some new ones for the drawers and they came out pretty decent, but there are some tiny weeny gaps that i'll have to do the "glue and file" trick to. unless you got a better idea hah!

but seriously, thats a cute lil box!

LORD GODFREY said...

Great post Nick,

I can't wait to see the box all done. It looks great so far.

na.nelson said...

Thanks guys! Gaps... HA! but really I have yet to do a set of 4 corners that needed absolutely NO "help" (at least to the sharp eyed)... I've done a number of single corners... some day. Yes "grain consolidation" works nicely on very small not-quite-shadow-lines. Dust and shellac would be the next go-to then "wedges" would be the last. Now the "wedges" we're talking about here should hardly be called that, more like slivers. If I were to need a wedge that I could measure (without calipers) I would re-do the joint.

Jason2730 said...

I like the profile of the bit. Leaves a nice, subtle shape for the tongue. I might try it as well (on a cheap bit, of course).

jbreau said...

the only thing with doing the bits yourself, is to have the right grinding wheel. the white wheels simply will not work on carbide. it will however work on hss bits. there does exist a green wheel (mine's green anyhow) that is made to work on carbide.
with the right wheel, there a piece of cake. the two radii don't need to be exact replicas of each other either. with the bit spinning at those speeds, alls it needs is a little soft paper to get things right.

LORD GODFREY said...

I tried doing mine and I kind of messed up the cutting angle. It burnt the shit out of the wood when I ran it. I should send it to Frere Jacques. He has a green wheel.

jbreau said...

i've done one for myself, and one for nick brygidyr. i like mine, and he seems to like his. the difference the green wheel makes is night and day.

na.nelson said...

Hmm I used a grey course wheel then the white wheel seemed to clean up a bit.

Nick Brygidyr said...

Yeah Mr.Breau did a great job with my bit! but shes getting a lil dull these days.

Hey guys i donno about your areas, but carbide end mills are real cheap, i got a 1/4" for 12 bucks and a 3/8ths for 26 bucks!

speaking of wheels, i still got the crappy stock wheels that came with my ginder haha!

桂綸鎂Diana said...

I love it ! Very creative ! That's actually really cool Thanks.

Blogger said...

Gain instant access to 16,000 woodworking plans.

Teds Woodworking has over 16,000 woodworking sketches with STEP-BY-STEP instructions, photos and drafts to make all of the projects very easy!