Tuesday, December 21, 2010

10% to 90%?

Hey I'm back from a weekend in Milwaukee! What a craptastic drive home it was through another snow storm in rush hour. Milwaukee however has no snow in the streets... jerks ha.

Before I left I was getting some good work done.
It is said that it only takes 10% of the total time in a project to get 90% completed. Well the carcass of this wall cabinet has sure come together pretty quick.
Above pictures one of the sides being cut to final dimension. The stop-block ensures that the next side will be "exactly" the same size.


Dressing the end grain of the sides straight and true... and smooth.

Doweling jig for the carcass joints. Just milled up some sticks of 3/4" Maple (enter any other hard wood) and plotted out some dowel holes. Later it they will get a 3/16" hole at the back and a 1/8" hole in the front, I will just be using dowel center finders for that.
I have a block for the right side and a block for the left side. Temporarily nailed into the sides to hold them during operation.

Once again I have made a spacing template for joint location in the top and bottom. Once again it is tapered ever so slightly larger at the back for fitting a partition. As you my know I love these simple solutions. Make one template and it helps take out a number of small inconsistencies that may occur otherwise.

With the correct block nailed to the correct spot it's on to the drill press. Set my depth stop about 3/32-1/8" from going through and drill.

BAM! Almost a cabinet ha. Sides have been shaped with curves kicking in to the front and end grain on top and bottom to match. Before doing the shaping on the front edges I want to get some work in on the door.
These pieces still seem to be moving on me a little bit. The trip over the weekend was a good way to get away from them for a few days. Hopefully they have sorted themselves out and I can touch them up when I get back to them.

Helping me out with some door frame shaping is the newest addition to my tool wall. A larger round bottom spokeshave from LN. I've been wanting to get one of these for a while. I tend to do a good amout of curved work and don't see that changing soon. I have been making due with a flat bottom but it has become apparent that it simply doesn't do the same job. One could make a compass plane but I don't do as well with those. The curves are irregular so there is very little contact on the sole of the plane. What's the point of having a whole plane? Some people like the feel better and do better work with them. That's great, unfortunately not me heh.
I find the Veritas spoke shave to be more to the liking of my hands. More ergonomic for me with nice placements for your thumbs and fingers close up to the blade. Allows me to work more comfortably and with more control. However the Veritas round bottom shave has a heavier radius than needed which decreases the stability of the cut for me. I tried both at IP from my classmates and seem to do better with the LN's shallow radius. So now I have one. The LN is prettier than the Veritas heh.

No comments: